40. Did We Start the Fire? If Not, How Long HAS It Been Burning?40. Did We Start the Fire? If Not, How Long HAS It Been Burning?
Humans love fire, in the form of BBQ or combustion engines. A raging forest fire, however, can be devastating for our flimsy wooden human houses. Why then, is it so important that we let them burn? In this episode, the Science Ladies uncover:
- How fire has been shaping ecosystems since long before any human ever lit a match
- The forest-dwelling pyromaniacs that thrive in the flames, and why these species need fire to survive
- What fire really is, and how it burns
- The science behind putting out a fire (or, “How to not burn down your kitchen”)